WESTERN KENTUCKY UNIVERSITY GEOGRAPHY AND GEOLOGY KENTUCKY CLIMATE CENTER RESEARCH SCIENTIST
Western Kentucky University, Kentucky Climate Center (KCC), housed within the Department of Geography and Geology and a charter member of the Applied Research and Technology Program (ARTP) is seeking applicants for a Research Scientist position in Applied Meteorology and Climatology. This person must have a strong background in both atmospheric modeling and data analysis (both modeled and observed). The department also has a strong program in Geographic Information Science, and the KCC has an established record of collaboration with other units within WKU and with other institutions. Research performed in this position will involve significant use of the Kentucky Mesonet data, along with other atmospheric datasets, which would lead to development of a wide variety of decision tools. Opportunities for collaboration will be available and encouraged.
The Kentucky Mesonet is a research grade operational network observing weather and climate in the Commonwealth. Continued employment is for several years pending budgetary approval and satisfactory performance evaluations.
The following duties and responsibilities are customary for this position. They are not to be construed as all-inclusive, and therefore may be added, deleted and assigned based on management discretion and institutional needs.
- Collaborates with primary supervisors
- Interacts and collaborates with students, staff members, and other atmospheric and environmental scientists in the KCC and the department
- Conducts applied research, collaborates with software developers for designing and creating interactive, web-based decision tools, writing papers for peer-reviewed journals, and writing grant proposals
- Participates in grant writing as a PI or Co-PI
- Doctoral degree in Atmospheric Science, Meteorology, Environmental Science, Geography, or a closely related field
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong background in Atmospheric Modeling (e.g., WRF, MM5, or RAMS or Climate models) and data analysis
- Experience in working with both modeled and observational data
- Experience in working as a member of a research team
- Ability to think creatively and perform research duties
- Ability to move computers, connect computers with relevant accessories and upload software
Expected Salary Range: $60,000.00 – $70,008.00 annually
Applications for employment will be accepted electronically only. Interested candidates should submit a cover letter with statement of professional goals, and up-to-date CV including list of publications, and names, addresses and daytime phone numbers of three professional references. Please refer to the following website to apply: http://asaweb.wku.edu/wkujobs Please reference requisition number S2897. For further assistance please call (270) 745-5934. To ensure full consideration please submit application materials by May 31st, 2011. Position will remain open until filled.
Western Kentucky University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, disability, age, religion, or marital status in admission to career and technical education programs and/or activities, or employment practices in accordance with Title VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Revised 1992, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.